Indian visa application centre inaugurated in Kandy
Colombo: India on Monday inaugurated its Visa
Application Centre in the hill city of Kandy, the third in Sri
Lanka, to provide hassle-free visa services for tourists
travelling to the country.
Head of Indian mission to Sri Lanka Ashok Kantha
inaugurated the India Visa Application Centre (IVAC) of the
High Commission of India.
Governor of Central Province Tikiri Kobbekaduwa and
Chief Minister Sarath Ekanayake also attended the function.
The Kandy IVAC will be operated by the VFS Global, who
has been running the India Visa Application Centre in Colombo
since February 11, 2008 and at Jaffna from May 5, 2010.
The IVAC at Kandy will be operational from June 1,
2010. Speaking on the occasion Kantha said that this
initiative would benefit the people of Kandy and other areas
of Central, Uva and Sabaragamuva provinces, apart from
Kurunegala district of North Western Province.
The Indian High Commissioner said this initiative on
the part of the Indian Mission in Sri Lanka would offer
several facilities for visa seekers.
The High Commissioner hoped that the opening of the
India Visa Application Centre, Kandy would make it more
convenient for the people of the region to obtain visa for
travelling to India.
This would further promote the friendly ties between
Sri Lanka and India, he said. The constant endeavour of the
High Commission of India in Sri Lanka has been to enhance the
services and facilities for visa applicants, he said.
The IVAC Kandy will be the third such centre
established in Sri Lanka, the first two being Colombo and
The processing time for each visa application will
normally take one working day, a Indian High Commission
The decision to grant or refuse visa will be the sole
prerogative of the Assistant High Commission of India, Kandy,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal