Indian visa application centre inaugurated in Kandy
Colombo: India on Monday inaugurated its Visa
Application Centre in the hill city of Kandy, the third in Sri
Lanka, to provide hassle-free visa services for tourists
travelling to the country.
Head of Indian mission to Sri Lanka Ashok Kantha
inaugurated the India Visa Application Centre (IVAC) of the
High Commission of India.
Governor of Central Province Tikiri Kobbekaduwa and
Chief Minister Sarath Ekanayake also attended the function.
The Kandy IVAC will be operated by the VFS Global, who
has been running the India Visa Application Centre in Colombo
since February 11, 2008 and at Jaffna from May 5, 2010.
The IVAC at Kandy will be operational from June 1,
2010. Speaking on the occasion Kantha said that this
initiative would benefit the people of Kandy and other areas
of Central, Uva and Sabaragamuva provinces, apart from
Kurunegala district of North Western Province.
The Indian High Commissioner said this initiative on
the part of the Indian Mission in Sri Lanka would offer
several facilities for visa seekers.
The High Commissioner hoped that the opening of the
India Visa Application Centre, Kandy would make it more
convenient for the people of the region to obtain visa for
travelling to India.
This would further promote the friendly ties between
Sri Lanka and India, he said. The constant endeavour of the
High Commission of India in Sri Lanka has been to enhance the
services and facilities for visa applicants, he said.
The IVAC Kandy will be the third such centre
established in Sri Lanka, the first two being Colombo and
The processing time for each visa application will
normally take one working day, a Indian High Commission
The decision to grant or refuse visa will be the sole
prerogative of the Assistant High Commission of India, Kandy,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players