Indian who died 20 months back buried in Lahore
Lahore: The decomposed body of an Indian
national, who died in a Pakistani jail nearly 20 months ago
has been buried in a graveyard in this eastern city, an NGO
said on Wednesday.
According to the Edhi Foundation, 28-year-old
Muhammad Naeem of Uttar Pradesh was arrested by police near
the Lahore railway station in April 2009 for not having "valid
travel documents and a Pakistani visa."
After his trial, he was handed down a prison sentence
which he was serving at Kot Lakhpat jail.
Edhi Foundation official Muhammad Younus told PTI that
Naeem died following a prolonged illness.
"The body was kept in a mortuary as `imanat`
(liability) but it was not claimed by anyone from India
despite several reminders to the Indian High Commission,"
Naeem`s body had been "temporarily" buried in Miani
Sahib graveyard because it had decomposed, he said.
If anyone came forward to claim the body, it could be
handed over to the claimant, the NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors