Indian who died 20 months back buried in Lahore
Lahore: The decomposed body of an Indian
national, who died in a Pakistani jail nearly 20 months ago
has been buried in a graveyard in this eastern city, an NGO
said on Wednesday.
According to the Edhi Foundation, 28-year-old
Muhammad Naeem of Uttar Pradesh was arrested by police near
the Lahore railway station in April 2009 for not having "valid
travel documents and a Pakistani visa."
After his trial, he was handed down a prison sentence
which he was serving at Kot Lakhpat jail.
Edhi Foundation official Muhammad Younus told PTI that
Naeem died following a prolonged illness.
"The body was kept in a mortuary as `imanat`
(liability) but it was not claimed by anyone from India
despite several reminders to the Indian High Commission,"
Naeem`s body had been "temporarily" buried in Miani
Sahib graveyard because it had decomposed, he said.
If anyone came forward to claim the body, it could be
handed over to the claimant, the NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list