Indian who died 20 months back buried in Lahore
Lahore: The decomposed body of an Indian
national, who died in a Pakistani jail nearly 20 months ago
has been buried in a graveyard in this eastern city, an NGO
said on Wednesday.
According to the Edhi Foundation, 28-year-old
Muhammad Naeem of Uttar Pradesh was arrested by police near
the Lahore railway station in April 2009 for not having "valid
travel documents and a Pakistani visa."
After his trial, he was handed down a prison sentence
which he was serving at Kot Lakhpat jail.
Edhi Foundation official Muhammad Younus told PTI that
Naeem died following a prolonged illness.
"The body was kept in a mortuary as `imanat`
(liability) but it was not claimed by anyone from India
despite several reminders to the Indian High Commission,"
Naeem`s body had been "temporarily" buried in Miani
Sahib graveyard because it had decomposed, he said.
If anyone came forward to claim the body, it could be
handed over to the claimant, the NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed