Indo-French reactor deal will create mistrust: Pak
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday criticised a multi-billion-dollar agreement finalised by France to sell two nuclear reactors to India, saying the deal would create "mistrust" and have "serious security implications" in South Asia.
Responding to a question on the France-India deal at a weekly news briefing, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit renewed Pakistan`s demand to be treated at par with India in the field of civil nuclear cooperation.
"We strongly believe that creating exceptions for any country is not only a step backwards in terms of promoting peaceful nuclear cooperation, but it also has serious security implications at the regional and global levels," he said.
"In our considered view, country-specific exceptions are inherently counter-productive for these inevitably result in mistrust and non-cooperation," he added.
Basit contended there was "no tenable alternative to criteria-based approaches towards promoting international cooperation" in issues like civilian use of nuclear energy.
There has been growing disquiet among Pakistan`s civil and military leadership over the civil nuclear agreement finalised by India and the US.
Top leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, have demanded that Pakistan should be given a similar deal by the US in view of the country`s growing energy requirements.
During French President Nicolas Sarkozy`s visit to New Delhi, France`s state-run Areva group on Monday signed a 9.3 billion-dollar framework agreement to sell two nuclear reactors to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in