Indo-Pak the most dangerous place: Ex-US diplomat
Washington: The India-Pak region is the most dangerous place in the world, a former top US diplomat who served as the Secretary of State under the Regan administration has said.
"The most dangerous place in the world right now, I think, is India-Pakistan," George Schultz, who served as the Secretary of State from 1982 to 1989 in the Regan Administration, said on Tuesday during his appearance before the Council on Foreign Relations, a Washington-based think tank.
"You can easily imagine, and they easily imagine that some semi-rogue group pulls off another Mumbai and India won`t be so careful, and all of a sudden, you can have something get out of control, shooting each other in the Kashmir just the other day," Schultz said.
Schultz was in fact was responding to a question on misuse of nuclear weapons and Iranian aggression when he mentioned the tension between India and Pakistan.
"So this is a very dangerous moment, and if Iran gets a nuclear weapon and that spreads more, then all you have to do is get a hold of the fissile material and then a good MIT student can help you make a bomb.”
“The fissile material is the most difficult part. And if you get enriched uranium to weapons-grade, that`s a lot easier than trying to make it out of plutonium," he said.
The former top American diplomat, praised the US President, Barack Obama, on his initiative to prevent misuse of nuclear weapons.
"I think President Obama, one of the things he did that was really good in this was he convened this group in Washington, I think, of around 40 heads of government to concentrate on the subject of getting better control of fissile material.
"Then there was a follow-up meeting in Seoul, same thing, and I think something like 50 heads of government came to work on this," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!