Indo-Pak ties: Hillary lauds PM Singh, Gilani
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has applauded the leadership of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Gilani for taking steps to improve their bilateral relationship.
"I applaud the leadership that Prime Minister Singh and Prime Minister Gilani have demonstrated," Hillary told reporters at a joint news conference with External Affairs Minister SM Krishna following the conclusion of the strategic dialogue which was co-chaired by them.
Hillary said the two delegations discussed the steps that the governments of India and Pakistan are taking to open up avenues for trade, investment and movement of people.
Krishna in his remarks said the issue of safe havens in Pakistan was raised during the Strategic Dialogue.
"We again stress the importance of eliminations of safe havens in Pakistan for Afghanistan`s security and the region`s stability," he said.
Later in his separate interaction with journalists at his hotel, Krishna said he did discuss the improvement in India-Pakistan relationship.
"We always discuss our relationship with Pakistan," he said.
"They are aware that India, particular Dr Manmohan Singh, the Prime Minister, has been going out of his way in order to extend his hands of friendship with Pakistan," he said.
"Of late, there has been some responses which are very encouraging from the Pakistani side," the External Affairs Minister said.
Krishna, who is scheduled to visit Islamabad next month, told reporters that the two countries are still working on the travel dates.
The minister noted that he has a scheduling conflict with the current dates being proposed by Islamabad.
"I am due to visit Pakistan in the month of July. They have proposed a date which conflicts with my prior commitments in India, which are very important, as a result of that a message has been sent to them that they should rework the dates," Krishna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert