Injured Swedish charity worker flown out of Pak
Lahore: An elderly Swedish charity worker who was seriously injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen in Lahore was on Monday flown home in an air ambulance for "medical and security" reasons, officials said.
Birgitta Almeby, a 70-year-old worker of the NGO Full Gospel Assemblies of Pakistan, was attacked near her residence in Model Town of Lahore on December 3.
FGA spokesman Liaquat Qaiser had described the incident as a "targeted attack".
Ali Usman, a doctor of Jinnah Hospital, said Almeby was flown home as the Swedish government believed she could be provided better treatment there.
"She is still unconscious as the bullets had damaged her lungs and jugular vein," Usman said.
The Swedish government sent an air ambulance with a special team of doctors to transport Almeby.
Other officials said Almeby was taken to Sweden as there were fears about her security.
Senior police officer Liaquat Malik told a news agency that a Swedish policewoman had come to Lahore and inquired about the investigation into the attack.
"We are investigating the matter and hopefully will soon get a clue about the attackers," Malik said.
Two unidentified men had visited Almeby`s home a few days before the shooting and assaulted her private security guard.
Almeby has been living in Pakistan for over three decades and has been running several welfare programmes, including a midwifery course and technical courses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez