Injured Swedish charity worker flown out of Pak
Lahore: An elderly Swedish charity worker who was seriously injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen in Lahore was on Monday flown home in an air ambulance for "medical and security" reasons, officials said.
Birgitta Almeby, a 70-year-old worker of the NGO Full Gospel Assemblies of Pakistan, was attacked near her residence in Model Town of Lahore on December 3.
FGA spokesman Liaquat Qaiser had described the incident as a "targeted attack".
Ali Usman, a doctor of Jinnah Hospital, said Almeby was flown home as the Swedish government believed she could be provided better treatment there.
"She is still unconscious as the bullets had damaged her lungs and jugular vein," Usman said.
The Swedish government sent an air ambulance with a special team of doctors to transport Almeby.
Other officials said Almeby was taken to Sweden as there were fears about her security.
Senior police officer Liaquat Malik told a news agency that a Swedish policewoman had come to Lahore and inquired about the investigation into the attack.
"We are investigating the matter and hopefully will soon get a clue about the attackers," Malik said.
Two unidentified men had visited Almeby`s home a few days before the shooting and assaulted her private security guard.
Almeby has been living in Pakistan for over three decades and has been running several welfare programmes, including a midwifery course and technical courses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city