Injured terrorist sent to jail, 12 dead in Lahore

The terrorist injured in the twin mosque attack on Tuesday shifted to Kot Lakhpat jail under tight security.

Lahore: The terrorist injured in the twin mosque attack, who was sought to be rescued from hospital or killed by armed gunmen in this Pakistan city, was on Tuesday shifted to Kot Lakhpat jail under tight security.

He would be treated in by the medical staff of the Jinnah Hospital, Online news agency reported.

At least four gunmen attacked a hospital in Pakistan`s eastern city of Lahore on Tuesday morning, killing up to a dozen people and holding several hostage before escaping, a senior doctor said.

"They barged into the hospital building and opened indiscriminate fire," said Javed Ikram, chief executive of Jinnah hospital.

He said at least 12 people were killed in the firing while some had been held hostage.

Senior city government official Sajjad Bhutta said, "They were four gunmen clad in elite police uniform, and entered the hospital building and opened fire. Then they ran toward the intensive care unit where their companion was being treated."

Police guards fired back, he said, and they fled. One of them was wounded.

He added that five people were killed, which included three policemen, a woman and a private security guard.

Dozens of people wounded in Friday`s attacks on two mosques of a minority religious community in the city were being treated in the hospital, which is a major institution in the city. More than 80 people were killed in those attacks.

The attackers were either trying to rescue or kill a wounded attacker from Friday`s assault who was being treated in the Intensive Care Unit of Jinnah Hospital, said Punjab police chief Tariq Saleem Dogar.

"There are blood patches at the entrance of the hospital building," a report said. "Pillows, biscuits and other food stuff and shoes are strewn on the floor."

People and patients who were able ran from the hospital and television footage showed exhausted looking women climbing over security fences to escape.

The attackers themselves fled after the mayhem, officials said.

"They escaped from the scene," Lahore commissioner Khusro Pervez Khan said. "We are in hot pursuit. We are chasing them. One of them was wounded."

A witness said that a police commando team had stormed into the hospital.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link