Insurgent bunker complex destroyed in Afghanistan: NATO
Kabul: Afghan and international troops have destroyed a massive bunker complex in eastern Afghanistan used by the Haqqani insurgent network to store arms and shelter foreign fighters, officials said on Sunday.
The troops were backed by helicopters in a battle on Friday that lasted 24 hours and resulted in the deaths of "a large number of enemy militants", the Defence Ministry and NATO said in a joint statement.
The operation took place in an isolated mountain region of Urgun district, in Paktika province which borders Pakistan, it said.
The joint force under command of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) "engaged small arms fire from hostile militants" during the operation, it said.
"The force used direct fire and close air support to repel the attacks from militants.”
"The force killed a large number of hostile militants and recovered multiple anti-aircraft artillery pieces, two heavy machine guns, two light machine guns, several assault rifles, multiple chest racks, ammunition and communications gear.”
"The force destroyed the bunker complex and all enemy weaponry in place," it said.
The Haqqani network is a powerful group based in northwest Pakistan closely linked to al Qaeda and known for its ruthless and sophisticated attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested