Insurgents kill 10 at Afghan construction camp
Kabul: Insurgents staged a pre-dawn ambush on a construction camp in Afghanistan`s western Herat province on Saturday, killing 10 people in one of several deadly attacks across the country overnight and in the morning.
Nine construction workers and a policeman were killed when insurgents attacked the camp in Herat`s Karukh district with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons, Deputy Public Works Minister Ahmad Shah Wahid said.
The workers were involved in a 52-kilometre road construction project run by an Afghan-German company and managed by the public works ministry, Wahid said.
The road runs from Herat`s Karukh district to Qala-i Now, the capital of neighbouring Badghis province.
Development projects, most of which receive foreign funding, are frequently targeted by insurgents.
In another deadly incident today, five members of a family were killed in the Marjah district of southern Helmand province when their mini-van struck a roadside bomb.
They included three children, a woman and a man, a statement from the provincial governor`s office said.
The statement added that another roadside bomb late yesterday killed three women in Helmand`s Sangin district.
In Farah province in the west, a suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest inside a private medical clinic, killing three people including a local police commander, a provincial government spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio