Insurgents kill 10 at Afghan construction camp
Kabul: Insurgents staged a pre-dawn ambush on a construction camp in Afghanistan`s western Herat province on Saturday, killing 10 people in one of several deadly attacks across the country overnight and in the morning.
Nine construction workers and a policeman were killed when insurgents attacked the camp in Herat`s Karukh district with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons, Deputy Public Works Minister Ahmad Shah Wahid said.
The workers were involved in a 52-kilometre road construction project run by an Afghan-German company and managed by the public works ministry, Wahid said.
The road runs from Herat`s Karukh district to Qala-i Now, the capital of neighbouring Badghis province.
Development projects, most of which receive foreign funding, are frequently targeted by insurgents.
In another deadly incident today, five members of a family were killed in the Marjah district of southern Helmand province when their mini-van struck a roadside bomb.
They included three children, a woman and a man, a statement from the provincial governor`s office said.
The statement added that another roadside bomb late yesterday killed three women in Helmand`s Sangin district.
In Farah province in the west, a suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest inside a private medical clinic, killing three people including a local police commander, a provincial government spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?