Insurgents kill 10 at Afghan construction camp
Kabul: Insurgents staged a pre-dawn ambush on a construction camp in Afghanistan`s western Herat province on Saturday, killing 10 people in one of several deadly attacks across the country overnight and in the morning.
Nine construction workers and a policeman were killed when insurgents attacked the camp in Herat`s Karukh district with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons, Deputy Public Works Minister Ahmad Shah Wahid said.
The workers were involved in a 52-kilometre road construction project run by an Afghan-German company and managed by the public works ministry, Wahid said.
The road runs from Herat`s Karukh district to Qala-i Now, the capital of neighbouring Badghis province.
Development projects, most of which receive foreign funding, are frequently targeted by insurgents.
In another deadly incident today, five members of a family were killed in the Marjah district of southern Helmand province when their mini-van struck a roadside bomb.
They included three children, a woman and a man, a statement from the provincial governor`s office said.
The statement added that another roadside bomb late yesterday killed three women in Helmand`s Sangin district.
In Farah province in the west, a suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest inside a private medical clinic, killing three people including a local police commander, a provincial government spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say