Insurgents kill 10 at Afghan construction camp
Kabul: Insurgents staged a pre-dawn ambush on a construction camp in Afghanistan`s western Herat province on Saturday, killing 10 people in one of several deadly attacks across the country overnight and in the morning.
Nine construction workers and a policeman were killed when insurgents attacked the camp in Herat`s Karukh district with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons, Deputy Public Works Minister Ahmad Shah Wahid said.
The workers were involved in a 52-kilometre road construction project run by an Afghan-German company and managed by the public works ministry, Wahid said.
The road runs from Herat`s Karukh district to Qala-i Now, the capital of neighbouring Badghis province.
Development projects, most of which receive foreign funding, are frequently targeted by insurgents.
In another deadly incident today, five members of a family were killed in the Marjah district of southern Helmand province when their mini-van struck a roadside bomb.
They included three children, a woman and a man, a statement from the provincial governor`s office said.
The statement added that another roadside bomb late yesterday killed three women in Helmand`s Sangin district.
In Farah province in the west, a suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest inside a private medical clinic, killing three people including a local police commander, a provincial government spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!