Intelligence sharing key to regional security: Gotabhaya Rajapaksa
Colombo: Enhanced cooperation between Intelligence agencies is essential for maintaining national and regional security, Sri Lanka`s top defence official said on Tuesday.
Regional security could only be ensured from threats of terrorism, human trafficking, drug smuggling and the illegal financial transactions by sharing intelligence, Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa said.
Addressing the Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Rajapaksa said, "For Intelligence to be more effective...It needs to be shared amongst nations."
Citing the example of the LTTE, Rajapaksa said the terror group raised funds abroad and used agents in various parts of the world to smuggle arms, ammunition and heavy weaponry to Sri Lanka through the sea.
"Even after the end of the war, the rump of the LTTE organisation is still engaged in raising funds and trying to regroup in order to destabilize Sri Lanka through various means."
"Because of the effective cooperation between Intelligence agencies, however, we were able to identify and stop these developments in their early stages," he said.
"This is an example of how enhanced cooperation between Intelligence agencies is essential for maintaining national and regional security," the Sri Lanka defence secretary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH