‘Inter-tribe rivalry responsible for firing at Pak rally’
Islamabad: Pakistan police on monday said that enmity between two factions of a local tribe led to the shooting incident at a rally organised by the PPP in which seven people, including a journalist, were killed.
On sunday, a group of gunmen opened fire at the rally organised by Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) at Khairpur in Sindh province which was to be addressed by MP Nafisa Shah.
DIG Ameer Shaikh told the media that the incident occurred because of enmity between two groups of the Janwari tribe. Some of the gunmen have been identified, police said.
Witnesses said a journalist and six PPP activists were among those killed in the shooting in Sardoro Janwari village.
Ten others were injured, including three reporters and an official of the local municipality.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, told reporters that the attack was "pre-planned" and carried out with "some political motives".
The incident caused tension in Khairpur city and nearby areas. All shops and markets closed soon after the shooting.
Shah, who escaped unhurt from the incident, is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for women`s rights and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened