‘Inter-tribe rivalry responsible for firing at Pak rally’
Islamabad: Pakistan police on monday said that enmity between two factions of a local tribe led to the shooting incident at a rally organised by the PPP in which seven people, including a journalist, were killed.
On sunday, a group of gunmen opened fire at the rally organised by Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) at Khairpur in Sindh province which was to be addressed by MP Nafisa Shah.
DIG Ameer Shaikh told the media that the incident occurred because of enmity between two groups of the Janwari tribe. Some of the gunmen have been identified, police said.
Witnesses said a journalist and six PPP activists were among those killed in the shooting in Sardoro Janwari village.
Ten others were injured, including three reporters and an official of the local municipality.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, told reporters that the attack was "pre-planned" and carried out with "some political motives".
The incident caused tension in Khairpur city and nearby areas. All shops and markets closed soon after the shooting.
Shah, who escaped unhurt from the incident, is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for women`s rights and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?