‘Inter-tribe rivalry responsible for firing at Pak rally’
Islamabad: Pakistan police on monday said that enmity between two factions of a local tribe led to the shooting incident at a rally organised by the PPP in which seven people, including a journalist, were killed.
On sunday, a group of gunmen opened fire at the rally organised by Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) at Khairpur in Sindh province which was to be addressed by MP Nafisa Shah.
DIG Ameer Shaikh told the media that the incident occurred because of enmity between two groups of the Janwari tribe. Some of the gunmen have been identified, police said.
Witnesses said a journalist and six PPP activists were among those killed in the shooting in Sardoro Janwari village.
Ten others were injured, including three reporters and an official of the local municipality.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, told reporters that the attack was "pre-planned" and carried out with "some political motives".
The incident caused tension in Khairpur city and nearby areas. All shops and markets closed soon after the shooting.
Shah, who escaped unhurt from the incident, is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for women`s rights and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM