`Invite Afghan Front leaders to NATO summit`
Washington: Asserting that no peace in Afghanistan can be achieved without participation of all ethnic groups, a key US lawmaker on Friday urged Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to immediately invite Afghan National Front to attend the upcoming NATO summit.
The National Front is a broad collection of ethnic leaders who represent Tajiks, Uzbeks, Turkmen and Hazaras who compose 60 percent of the population of Afghanistan.
"The National Front must be at the table when the future of their country is being discussed," Dana Rohrabacher wrote in a letter to the Congress.
"The overly centralised Karzai government cannot endure once American troops and money is withdrawn because it lacks legitimacy.”
“Karzai stole his last elections. We must bring in legitimate leaders, who represent the majority of Afghans, and let them take their rightful seat at the table and help decide the fate of their own country," he said.
Rohrabacher said it was the National Front, formerly known as the Northern Alliance, with assistance from the United States, who toppled the Taliban government in 2001.
Rohrabacher is chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee.
Representative Rohrabacher was recently denied entry into Afghanistan by President Hamid Karzai, who personally reached out to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to express his objections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations