ISAF apologises for Afghan civilian deaths
Kabul: Foreign forces in Afghanistan issued an apology on Monday for the deaths of nine Afghan civilians in Helmand province after President Hamid Karzai criticised an air strike which he said killed 14.
A statement from Major General John Toolan, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander for the southwest region of Afghanistan, said: "On behalf of the coalition, I offer our heartfelt apologies to the families and friends of those killed."
The apology came after Karzai`s office issued what it said was a "last warning" to US and NATO-led troops over civilian casualties following Saturday`s incident.
Provincial officials also said that 14 people were killed in the strike, among them five girls, seven boys and two women.
Civilian deaths in international military operations are a highly sensitive topic in Afghanistan, frequently sparking demonstrations and public condemnations from Karzai.
The statement from Toolan said: "On behalf of the coalition, the commander of the International Security Assistance Force General (David) Petraeus... I want to offer my sincere apologies for the nine civilians who were killed during the incident in Now Zad District, Helmand province, that occurred on 28 May.
He said that the incident had happened after a coalition patrol was attacked by insurgents, resulting in the death of a marine.
"Subsequently, the five insurgents occupied and continued to attack again from a compound and in the ensuing battle an airstrike was called to neutralise the threat," he added.
"Unfortunately, the compound the insurgents purposefully occupied was later discovered to house innocent civilians."
He said a full investigation was ongoing and that ISAF would "ensure that we make amends with the families in accordance with Afghan culture”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM