ISAF condemns Afghan mosque bombing
Kabul: The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has strongly condemned the bomb attack that claimed the life of Arsala Jamal, the governor of Afghanistan`s Logar province, and injured 15 others on Tuesday, the alliance said in a statement received on Wednesday.
"ISAF strongly condemns the bombing of a mosque in Pul-i-Alam the capital of Logar province that killed and wounded more than a dozen civilians who were celebrating Eid-e-Qurban. Among those killed was the governor of Logar province, Arsala Jamal," Xinhua reported citing the statement.
"Governor Arsala Jamal was reading out a message to the locals following the Eid al-Adha prayer on Tuesday morning when an improvised explosive device (IED) which was planted under the tribune inside the mosque was detonated, killing Jamal at the scene and wounding 15 others," provincial government spokesman Din Mohammad Darwish told Xinhua.
Eid al-Adha is the biggest annual religious festival celebrated by Muslims across the globe.
The commander of the NATO-led ISAF forces in Afghanistan, General Joseph F Dunford, also expressed sympathy with the families of the victims.
"This indiscriminate violence, on a day reserved for national peace and celebration, reflects a complete disregard for the sanctity of life," Dunford said in the statement.
Afghan officials put responsibility of the attack on Taliban militants.
President Hamid Karzai has also condemned the deadly bombing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre