ISAF condemns Afghan mosque bombing
Kabul: The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has strongly condemned the bomb attack that claimed the life of Arsala Jamal, the governor of Afghanistan`s Logar province, and injured 15 others on Tuesday, the alliance said in a statement received on Wednesday.
"ISAF strongly condemns the bombing of a mosque in Pul-i-Alam the capital of Logar province that killed and wounded more than a dozen civilians who were celebrating Eid-e-Qurban. Among those killed was the governor of Logar province, Arsala Jamal," Xinhua reported citing the statement.
"Governor Arsala Jamal was reading out a message to the locals following the Eid al-Adha prayer on Tuesday morning when an improvised explosive device (IED) which was planted under the tribune inside the mosque was detonated, killing Jamal at the scene and wounding 15 others," provincial government spokesman Din Mohammad Darwish told Xinhua.
Eid al-Adha is the biggest annual religious festival celebrated by Muslims across the globe.
The commander of the NATO-led ISAF forces in Afghanistan, General Joseph F Dunford, also expressed sympathy with the families of the victims.
"This indiscriminate violence, on a day reserved for national peace and celebration, reflects a complete disregard for the sanctity of life," Dunford said in the statement.
Afghan officials put responsibility of the attack on Taliban militants.
President Hamid Karzai has also condemned the deadly bombing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH