ISI claims it tipped off CIA on Osama hideout
Washington: Nearly a year after Osama bin Laden was killed in his Abbottabad home, Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) claims it helped the US locate the al Qaeda chief`s high-walled hideout.
Osama was shot dead on May 02 last year at his Abbottabad house by US commandos, straining ties between Washington and Islamabad.
"The lead and the information actually came from us," a senior ISI official told the Washington Post.
Washington is sceptical about the ISI claim.
After US stealth choppers flew in to Osama`s hideout, Pakistani military said it knew nothing about his six-year presence in the garrison town.
On Friday, two ISI officials spoke to the daily.
One noted that the ISI`s new head, Lt Gen Zaheer ul-Islam, is taking a "proactive" approach to public relations to improve the international image of spy service.
"Any hit on al Qaeda anywhere in the world has happened with our help," the official was quoted as saying.
The second official said the ISI provided the CIA with a cellphone number that eventually led to an al Qaeda courier Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti.
The officials maintained that in November 2010 they gave the number to the CIA, along with information that it was last detected in Abbottabad, the media report said.
They claimed that they didn`t know the number was of an al Qaeda courier. The CIA analysts, however did and yet didn`t relay that information back to the Pakistanis.
"They knew who the number belonged to," the official said.
The other official described it as a "story of an extreme trust deficit and betrayal".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth