‘ISI distributed millions among Pak leaders`
Islamabad: In a startling disclosure, Pakistan`s ISI has admitted in the court that it had distributed huge amount of money to political parties and leaders including former prime ministers Nawaz Sharif, Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi, Zafarullah Jamali and Mohammad Khan Junejo.
The distribution of money was not confined to former prime ministers, but transcended political affiliations to include the likes of Pir Pagaro, Abida Hussain, Lt Gen Rafaqat and tribal leaders Humayun Marri, Nadir Mengal and Hasil Bizenjo.
The revelation was made by Pakistan`s former chief justice Saeeduz Zaman Siddiqui, who said this case was still pending with the country`s Supreme Court since 1999.
He said the sensational disclosures were made in an affidavit filed in the court by former ISI chief Lt Gen (retd) Asad Durrani.
The Daily Times quoted Siddiqui telling a private TV channel that millions of rupees were distributed during former president Ghulam Ishaq Khan`s regime and ostensibly to convince political leaders to join the then Islami Jamhoori
The IJI, headed by Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi, was formed in September 1988 to oppose the Pakistan People`s Party in elections. The alliance comprised nine parties, of which the major components were the Pakistan Muslim League, National Peoples Party, Jamaat-e-Islami and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam.
Siddiqui told the channel that he had said at that time that ISI`s role should not political.
He said Lt Gen (retd) Durrani had filed a written affidavit on July 24, 1994, claiming he had government`s complete clearance on the money distribution and had opened a number of bank accounts in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Quetta and a sum of Rs 140 million transferred to him as special fund.
According to the affidavit, acquired by the TV channel, former prime ministers Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi received Rs 5 million, Nawaz Sharif received Rs 3.5 million, Zafarullah Jamali Rs 4 million, Muhammad Khan Junejo Rs 2.5 million and former Sindh chief minister Jam Sadiq Rs 5 million.
In addition, Pir Pagaro received Rs 2 million, the Jamaat-e-Islami Rs 5 million, Mir Afzal Khan Rs 10 million, Abida Hussain Rs 1 million, Lt Gen Rafaqat Rs 5.6 million for managing the media campaign, Humayun Marri Rs 1.5 million, Kakar Rs 1 million, Jam Yousaf Rs 0.7 million, Hasil Bizenjo Rs 0.5 million and Nadir Mengal Rs 1 million.
Altaf Hussain Qureshi and Mustafa Sadiq Rs 0.5 million, Salahuddin Rs 0.3 million, smaller groups Rs 5.4 million and others received Rs 3.339 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi