ISI given Rs 600 mn for `special assignment`: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan`s spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) was given Rs 600 million (about USD 6,090,800) in the country`s federal budget for fiscal 2012-13 to perform a “special assignment” on the directive of the Prime Minister.
Yousuf Raza Gilani was the Prime Minister at that time.
Budget documents show that the money was released by the country`s finance division under the "Supplementary Demands for Grants and Appropriations 2012-13", The News International daily reported on Thursday.
Pakistan`s defence budget is never discussed in Parliament and ISI`s budget is also not included in the budget documents. Hence, this seemed to be a rare exception, the report added.
The details about the nature of the “special assignment”, however, remained unknown.
This apart, the defence production division spent Rs 103,426,000 to meet the cost and other annual subscriptions of two VVIP Gulfstream aircraft.
Pakistan Rangers spent Rs 82.5 million to buy a helicopter for its Punjab wing, the daily said, adding that the Rangers also spent Rs 1.387 billion to buy 37 ground surveillance radars in Sindh province`s port city of Karachi.
The narcotics control division spent Rs 56.355 million in excess of the amount allocated to it in the 2012-13 budget and Rs 50 million in cash awards.
Pakistan`s federal budget for fiscal 2013-14 under the new government led by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was presented by federal Finance Minister Muhammad Ishaq Dar on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble