`ISI leaked intel info on bomb factories in Pak’
Washington: It was ISI which leaked the US intelligence information about bomb making factories in Pakistan`s tribal areas, a top Republican Senator said as he demanded the Obama administration establishes strong benchmarks for American aid to Islamabad.
"When (CIA director) Leon Panetta testified about (sharing information with Pak Army and ISI about bomb making factories) they had notified the ISI about the IED factory and they (CIA) watched it, by satellite, empty out and then the Army came -- that kind of story is so disappointing particularly when we`re talking about IEDs, for obvious reasons," Senator John McCain said.
"I believe that we need a set of benchmarks...expectations that we should have for the government of Pakistan... But I think it`s important in our calculations to point out, we tried the no-relations route. We tried it for 10 years. That move didn`t turn out very well," he said, responding to questions about US relationship with Pakistan at a panel discussion on Afghanistan organised by the Institute for the Study of War, a Washington-based think-tank.
He said: "We have to do everything that we can to see that the Pakistanis, particularly the ISI, appreciate the fact that the American people, over time, no matter how I feel, are not going to support the expenditure of billions of our tax dollars if we perceive that they have some elements that are working against us.”
"That`s just a political reality. And somehow, we have to make sure that they understand that."
Expressing concern over the current situation in Pakistan, McCain said the civilian government there is certainly not effective. "Their influence over the military, as we know, is not significant, to say the least. So we really can`t, can`t allow, without trying to change the situation into just for the sake of the young men and women who serve.”
The Senator said: "All of this is vastly complicated by their nuclear inventory. This makes it, obviously, far more critical than it otherwise would be."
"Generally, in warfare, if the enemy has a sanctuary, your challenge is measurably much greater. And that, obviously, is something that we don`t want to have to continue, certainly to the degree that it is today," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow