`ISI spent Rs 4.1bn on project that never took off`
Islamabad: Pakistan`s ISI has come under criticism from a powerful Parliamentary panel for having spent over Rs 4 billion on a fingerprint and police records project that never materialised.
Members of the Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament criticised the spy agency for the spending on the project during a meeting held yesterday, the Dawn newspaper reported today.
The panel was informed that the National Police Bureau (NPB) had handed over Rs 2.1 billion to the ISI during 2005-06 for setting up an automated fingerprint identification system and a police record and office management system.
Funding for the project, which also involved the setting up of a national integrated trunk radio system for police forces, was subsequently increased to Rs 4.1 billion.
According to an audit report presented to the Public Accounts Committee, the project was to be completed during 2005-06 though no progress was reported even in 2006-07.
NPB Director General Aleena Saeed Iqbal said she had repeatedly sought information from the ISI about the status of the project and details of accounts but there was no response.
She said she had no information about the project though the entire amount spent on it had been transferred through the NPB.
"The only thing I can do is to ask them about the project, which I am doing on regular basis," Iqbal told the lawmakers.
According to documents presented at the meeting, the NPB had released Rs 4.1 billion to the ISI for the project by November last year.
The Parliamentary panels intervention was sought as the ISI had neither reported any progress on the project nor provided any adjustments of accounts.
The development comes days after the ISI was at the centre of another controversy over its meddling in politics following the Supreme Court`s verdict holding two retired Generals, including former ISI chief Asad Durrani, responsible for distributing millions of rupees among politicians to rig the 1990 general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly