Islam and democracy are compatible: Sherry Rehman
Washington: Pakistan`s Ambassador to the United States Sherry Rehman has said Islam and democracy are not only compatible but also complementary with each other.
"The pervasive misconception that we must all battle to debunk is the belief that Islam and a modern democratic society cannot co-exist. I come here not to defend Islam from the charge that it is incompatible with democracy. Rather, I come here to prove that Islam and democracy are intertwined, always have been and always will be," The Dawn quoted Rehman, as saying while speaking at a forum during the 49th annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America.
"The political and economic vitality of the North American Muslim Community demonstrates what we have always known, that democracy is not only compatible with Islam but is its central tenet," she said, adding that Pakistan would be completing a landmark democratic transition with the completion of the constitutionally mandated term of the democratically-elected government.
She highlighted Islamabad’s commitment to ensure rights for women and minorities, saying the country has a long tradition of assigning high position to women in government and non-governmental offices.
Sherry said that the association of Muslims with hatred and extremism stems from a fear that Islam is fundamentally incompatible with a democratic and modern way of life.
Islam, she said, stands for equality, unity, tolerance, and rights of people and the global religion allows peaceful co-existence of different faiths in the society.
"Islam is not the caricature that has been hijacked by extremists, but rather a peace-loving religion of equality, opportunity and tolerance," she said.
Rehman said the active Muslim Community of North America is living proof that misconceptions are easily shattered; that Islam and a modern democratic society are not mutually exclusive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony