Islamic scholar shot dead in Balochistan province
Islamabad: An Islamic scholar was shot dead
by unidentified gunmen in the capital of the restive
Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan on Saturday, police said.
Qari Abdul Basit, the son of well-known scholar Maulvi
Abdul Samad, was gunned down in the busy Kasi Road in Quetta.
Witnesses said he was going from his home to a mosque
when the gunmen, who were riding a motorcycle, fired at him
and killed him instantly.
The attackers fled from the spot.
Basit was taken to a nearby hospital, where doctors
declared him dead.
A number of people gathered at the hospital on learning
of his death and angry protesters burnt tyres on Kasi Road to
protest the incident.
Clerics condemned the killed and said over 10 scholars
belonging to the Sunni sect had been killed in Quetta in the
past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly