Islamic university attack: Girl student succumbs to injuries
Islamabad: A girl student of the elite International Islamic University in the Pakistani capital that was targeted by two suicide bombers succumbed to her injuries on Saturday, taking the toll in the attack to eight.
Amna Batool, who sustained critical injuries in the attack on the university on October 20, died this morning at a state-run hospital.
Three other girl students of the university, considered one of the world`s leading centres for the study of Islamic thought, law and history, were among those killed by the two suicide bombers who struck the male and female campuses of the institution. Another female student is in a serious condition in hospital, reports said.
Dozens of students were injured in the assault, the first in a wave of bombings and suicide attacks to target women and an educational institution.
One of the bombers had blown himself up near the entrance of a packed cafeteria in the female campus of the varsity.
Officials said the death toll would have been higher if a university employee had not grappled with the bomber, who was disguised as a burqa-clad woman, and prevented him from entering the cafeteria.
The other bomber detonated his explosives in the Shariah or Islamic law faculty in the male campus.
Over the past two weeks, Taliban militants have carried out a series of brazen bombings and suicide attacks that have mainly targeted security facilities, including the Army`s fortified General Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea