Islamic university attack: Girl student succumbs to injuries
Islamabad: A girl student of the elite International Islamic University in the Pakistani capital that was targeted by two suicide bombers succumbed to her injuries on Saturday, taking the toll in the attack to eight.
Amna Batool, who sustained critical injuries in the attack on the university on October 20, died this morning at a state-run hospital.
Three other girl students of the university, considered one of the world`s leading centres for the study of Islamic thought, law and history, were among those killed by the two suicide bombers who struck the male and female campuses of the institution. Another female student is in a serious condition in hospital, reports said.
Dozens of students were injured in the assault, the first in a wave of bombings and suicide attacks to target women and an educational institution.
One of the bombers had blown himself up near the entrance of a packed cafeteria in the female campus of the varsity.
Officials said the death toll would have been higher if a university employee had not grappled with the bomber, who was disguised as a burqa-clad woman, and prevented him from entering the cafeteria.
The other bomber detonated his explosives in the Shariah or Islamic law faculty in the male campus.
Over the past two weeks, Taliban militants have carried out a series of brazen bombings and suicide attacks that have mainly targeted security facilities, including the Army`s fortified General Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray