Islamic university attack: Girl student succumbs to injuries
Islamabad: A girl student of the elite International Islamic University in the Pakistani capital that was targeted by two suicide bombers succumbed to her injuries on Saturday, taking the toll in the attack to eight.
Amna Batool, who sustained critical injuries in the attack on the university on October 20, died this morning at a state-run hospital.
Three other girl students of the university, considered one of the world`s leading centres for the study of Islamic thought, law and history, were among those killed by the two suicide bombers who struck the male and female campuses of the institution. Another female student is in a serious condition in hospital, reports said.
Dozens of students were injured in the assault, the first in a wave of bombings and suicide attacks to target women and an educational institution.
One of the bombers had blown himself up near the entrance of a packed cafeteria in the female campus of the varsity.
Officials said the death toll would have been higher if a university employee had not grappled with the bomber, who was disguised as a burqa-clad woman, and prevented him from entering the cafeteria.
The other bomber detonated his explosives in the Shariah or Islamic law faculty in the male campus.
Over the past two weeks, Taliban militants have carried out a series of brazen bombings and suicide attacks that have mainly targeted security facilities, including the Army`s fortified General Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan