Islamic university attack: Girl student succumbs to injuries
Islamabad: A girl student of the elite International Islamic University in the Pakistani capital that was targeted by two suicide bombers succumbed to her injuries on Saturday, taking the toll in the attack to eight.
Amna Batool, who sustained critical injuries in the attack on the university on October 20, died this morning at a state-run hospital.
Three other girl students of the university, considered one of the world`s leading centres for the study of Islamic thought, law and history, were among those killed by the two suicide bombers who struck the male and female campuses of the institution. Another female student is in a serious condition in hospital, reports said.
Dozens of students were injured in the assault, the first in a wave of bombings and suicide attacks to target women and an educational institution.
One of the bombers had blown himself up near the entrance of a packed cafeteria in the female campus of the varsity.
Officials said the death toll would have been higher if a university employee had not grappled with the bomber, who was disguised as a burqa-clad woman, and prevented him from entering the cafeteria.
The other bomber detonated his explosives in the Shariah or Islamic law faculty in the male campus.
Over the past two weeks, Taliban militants have carried out a series of brazen bombings and suicide attacks that have mainly targeted security facilities, including the Army`s fortified General Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city