Islamist blames US for suicide bombing in Pakistan
Peshawar: An Islamist politician whose
party lost several members in a suicide attack blamed
Pakistan`s alliance with the US for the violence and urged
Islamabad on Tuesday to break ranks in the war on terror.
The comments showed the depth of anti-Americanism in
Pakistan,whose support Washington considers key to stabilizing
neighboring Afghanistan. In the past three days, attacks in
Pakistan have killed some 74 people in a new wave of violence.
A remote controlled bomb today hit an army convoy as
it traveled in the Hangu district close to the Afghan border,
killing three soldiers and a civilian, said police official
The Jamaat-e-Islami party was hit yesterday when a
suicide bomber apparently targeted police watching over a
rally of the pro-Taliban group. Many of the 24 dead and 45
wounded were party loyalists, while two were officers, police
official Khan Abbas said today.
Although authorities blamed the Taliban in the
immediate aftermath of the attack in Peshawar, the Islamist
party`s leaders have declined to do so, instead alleging the
CIA or Indian intelligence were behind it.
"It is because we have brought America`s war to our
own country," Sirajul Haq, a provincial party leader, said
today in Peshawar after attending funerals for some of the
victims. "Still, there is time to end this alliance with
America" to avoid more bloodshed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory