`Islamist militants planned to kill Hasina, Khaleda`
Dhaka: Banned Islamist group Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) had hired Indian terrorists to assassinate top Bangladeshi leaders, including Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her BNP rival Khaleda Zia, ahead of the parliamentary polls last year, according to sources in the elite security force RAB.
Islamist militant outfits, including JMB and Harkatul
Jihad Islami (HuJI), have carried out a series of terrorist
attacks to establish a sharia-based Islamic state, leading to
the death of hundreds of people in the last few years.
The JMB had planned to assassinate Awami League leader
Hasina and her arch rival Zia of the Bangladesh Nationalist
Party in a bid to foil the landmark December parliamentary
polls, which brought the Hasina-led Grand Alliance back to
power, according to Rapid Action Battalion sources.
The sources, quoting JMB activist Zahidul Islam Sumon
alias "Boma" Mizan, said about dozen JMB operatives from India
were hired to execute the assassinations.
Mizan is presently in the custody of the RAB, which
arrested him from Mirpur in the capital on May 14. He admitted
that JMB has a network in West Bengal, India, The Daily Star
"Before the national elections (December 29 in
Bangladesh) 10 Indian JMB members visited Bangladesh in two
groups" to execute the plan to foil the ninth national
election last year, the Bangladeshi newspaper quoted security
sources as saying. They had also planned to kill other
high-profile candidates as part of their plan, he revealed.
However, the Indians left Bangladesh in the beginning of
February after they failed to execute the plan, Mizan told
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read