Issues of ISI links with terrorists taken up with Pak: Kerry
Washington: A powerful US Senator and a close foreign policy aid of President Barack Obama has said the issue of Pakistani intelligence agency ISI having links with terrorist groups has been taken up with the highest level of the leadership in Islamabad.
Pointing out that these allegations were not new, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Senator John Kerry said: "We have been wrestling with these
allegations and we have made some progress."
Kerry said: "these allegations about ties between extremists and Pakistan`s intelligence agency are not new allegations. It is important for everybody to understand
His comments come after leak of voluminous classified documents on the war against terrorism in Afghanistan by web whistleblower WikiLeaks which said the ISI continues to help and assist al-Qaeda and the Taliban.
The Senator said, "(Pak Army Chief) General (Ashfaq Pervez) Kayani, (the ISI Chief) General Pasha, and others have been over here. We have had a number of meetings. We`ve been over there. This is not a sort of revelation of a topic."
"This is something we have been dealing with, and many people believe we are making some progress, particularly when measured against the offensives the Pakistanis themselves have taken in Swat and in South Waziristan, with great political difficulty and with great risk to themselves," Kerry said.
Condemning the leak of Pentagon papers, Kerry said the release of any classified information is unacceptable.
"It breaks the law. And equally important, it compromises the efforts of our troops in the field and has the potential of putting people in harm`s way," he said.
"These documents appear to be primarily raw intelligence reports from the field. And as such, anybody who has dealt with these reports knows that some are completely
dismissible, some of them are completely unreliable, and some of them are very reliable," he said.
"But raw intelligence needs to be processed properly, generally by people who have a context in which to put it. And so I think people need to be very careful in evaluating what they do read there," Kerry said.
"I also want to emphasise that the events covered in these documents occurred before last December, when the President announced a new Afghanistan strategy clearly designed to address some of the very issues that are raised by these documents. Obviously in many cases, many of us have raised the issues in these documents with the Pakistanis and with the Afghans," Kerry said.
"All of us, however, are concerned that after nearly nine years of war, more than 1,000 American casualties, and billions of US taxpayer dollars, the Taliban appear to be as
strong as they have been," he noted.
"To successfully reverse that trend, it is going to be very important for us to depend on our partners in Afghanistan and Pakistan," Kerry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset