`Italy to continue Afghan commitment after 2014`
Rome: The new Italian government will continue its participation in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) mission in Afghanistan until 2014 and afterwards will commit to training of the Afghan forces, Defence Minister Mario Mauro said on Wednesday.
The Italian government intends to "continue its participation in the ISAF mission in Afghanistan ending it as scheduled in 2014," the minister said, reported Xinhua.
After the mission ends in 2014, Italy will carry on its engagement by assisting and training Afghan troops, he added. The new mission will not include the fight against insurgents, nor against terrorism and drug trafficking, Mauro clarified.
The Italian contingent which now has about 3,100 units "is being progressively reduced and will be further cut down significantly throughout 2014," he said.
Mauro made the remarks while briefing the parliament`s lower house on a hand-grenade attack which killed last week an Italian soldier, Giuseppe La Rosa, serving in ISAF.
The attack was carried out by a 20-year-old Afghan who was reportedly arrested and not, as initially claimed by the Taliban, by an 11-year-old, Mauro said.
La Rosa was the 53rd Italian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan since the beginning of ISAF operations in 2004. The many deaths led to increasing calls from some political forces for the pull-out to be sped up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand