It`s al Qaeda which is in retreat, not West: US
Washington: The United States has said it is al Qaeda which is in retreat and not the West as claimed by the terror outfit`s second-in command Ayman al-Zawahiri in a video message.
Zawahiri, along with his supremo, Osama bin Laden, is believed to be holed up in Pakistan`s remote unruly tribal region, close to the border with Afghanistan.
In a video message, released on Wednesday, he called for revolution in Pakistan and said that West was in retreat and al Qaeda was in ascendancy.
"I think we can disagree about who is in retreat. We have a significant presence in Afghanistan, specifically to work with the Afghan Government and prevent the re-emergence of a safe haven there, from which al Qaeda attacked the US nine years ago," said PJ Crowley, State Department spokesman.
"Next door, we have constructed a positive relationship with Pakistan, and Pakistan itself has taken important steps against extremists who are affiliated with Afghan, with al Qaeda on its side of the border," he said.
Crowley, when asked about Zawahiri`s call to the people of Pakistan to revolt against the government, said al Qaeda`s true intentions were destruction of the Pakistan people.
"I saw that there was some reporting that Zawahiri was commenting from whatever cave he happens to be residing in, that he was critical of the Pakistani Government`s response to the flood," Crowley said.
"I think it`s choice that the leader of a terror, or the co-leader of a terrorist organisation, having supported attacks against the Pakistani Government at the very time that it was providing support and assistance to its own people, demonstrates what Zawahiri`s true intentions are and what al Qaeda`s true intentions are," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA