It`s al Qaeda which is in retreat, not West: US
Washington: The United States has said it is al Qaeda which is in retreat and not the West as claimed by the terror outfit`s second-in command Ayman al-Zawahiri in a video message.
Zawahiri, along with his supremo, Osama bin Laden, is believed to be holed up in Pakistan`s remote unruly tribal region, close to the border with Afghanistan.
In a video message, released on Wednesday, he called for revolution in Pakistan and said that West was in retreat and al Qaeda was in ascendancy.
"I think we can disagree about who is in retreat. We have a significant presence in Afghanistan, specifically to work with the Afghan Government and prevent the re-emergence of a safe haven there, from which al Qaeda attacked the US nine years ago," said PJ Crowley, State Department spokesman.
"Next door, we have constructed a positive relationship with Pakistan, and Pakistan itself has taken important steps against extremists who are affiliated with Afghan, with al Qaeda on its side of the border," he said.
Crowley, when asked about Zawahiri`s call to the people of Pakistan to revolt against the government, said al Qaeda`s true intentions were destruction of the Pakistan people.
"I saw that there was some reporting that Zawahiri was commenting from whatever cave he happens to be residing in, that he was critical of the Pakistani Government`s response to the flood," Crowley said.
"I think it`s choice that the leader of a terror, or the co-leader of a terrorist organisation, having supported attacks against the Pakistani Government at the very time that it was providing support and assistance to its own people, demonstrates what Zawahiri`s true intentions are and what al Qaeda`s true intentions are," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers