It`s Pak govt`s duty to stop drone attacks: Court
Lahore: A Pakistani court hearing Jamaat-ud- Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed`s petition against American drone strikes in Pakistan has said it cannot order a war against the US.
However, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial yesterday said it was the Pakistan government`s duty to stop attacks by the CIA-operated spy planes in the tribal areas.
"The US drone attacks are against Pakistan`s policy but the court cannot order a war against America," Bandial said while hearing Saeed`s petition.
He observed that courts were bound to pass orders in light of the Constitution.
The Chief Justice expressed his displeasure at a response submitted by the federal government and adjourned the case till February 21.
He asked a Deputy Attorney General to present the government`s point of view at the next hearing.
Saeed`s counsel AK Dogar contended that the federal government had not implemented a parliamentary resolution against drone attacks.
He claimed the US government kept on saying that drone attacks could be carried out at any place in Pakistan.
In his petition, Saeed had asked the court to direct the federal government to disclose all "secret deals" with the US as every citizen of Pakistan had the right to have access to information on such matters.
He asked the court to declare that pre-emptive strikes by foreign countries were not permitted under international laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez