It`s Pak govt`s duty to stop drone attacks: Court
Lahore: A Pakistani court hearing Jamaat-ud- Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed`s petition against American drone strikes in Pakistan has said it cannot order a war against the US.
However, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial yesterday said it was the Pakistan government`s duty to stop attacks by the CIA-operated spy planes in the tribal areas.
"The US drone attacks are against Pakistan`s policy but the court cannot order a war against America," Bandial said while hearing Saeed`s petition.
He observed that courts were bound to pass orders in light of the Constitution.
The Chief Justice expressed his displeasure at a response submitted by the federal government and adjourned the case till February 21.
He asked a Deputy Attorney General to present the government`s point of view at the next hearing.
Saeed`s counsel AK Dogar contended that the federal government had not implemented a parliamentary resolution against drone attacks.
He claimed the US government kept on saying that drone attacks could be carried out at any place in Pakistan.
In his petition, Saeed had asked the court to direct the federal government to disclose all "secret deals" with the US as every citizen of Pakistan had the right to have access to information on such matters.
He asked the court to declare that pre-emptive strikes by foreign countries were not permitted under international laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter