`It`s terrifying bomber was 14-year-old in school uniform`
Islamabad: The suicide bombing by a 14-year-old dressed in school uniform at a military training centre in northwest Pakistan is a "terrifying event", said a Pakistani daily on Friday.
An editorial in The News daily on Friday said the strike by the 14-year-old bomber "is in many ways a terrifying event".
"Some were only a few years older than the bomber - who, of course, belonged in school, and not on the streets clad in a suicide vest."
Over 20 people, mostly cadets, were killed on Thursday in the bombing at the Punjab Regiment Centre in Mardan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
It said that the "use of teenagers so young in this fashion is obviously made to put security personnel off guard and catch them unawares. The tactic seems to have worked in Mardan, as it has in the past in other places".
"Few would suspect that children can be ruthless killers, able to inflict the kind of havoc we saw at the military centre. The militants seem recently to be extending this tactic."
On use of women suicide bombers by militants, the editorial said: "The problems that arise from a security perspective when women are used as bombers are many, given that social norms dictate they are not usually stopped or searched at check-posts where mostly only male personnel are present."
In December last year, a woman suicide bomber blew herself up near a World Food Programme distribution point at Khar in Bajaur tribal region, killing 47 people.
"The Mardan incident...indicates that the killers are as active as ever. The brief lull we had seen some months ago in the rate of the blasts and bombings everywhere in the country has not lasted.”
"Indeed, the terrorists seem to have moved ahead of security personnel again, developing new means to elude detection. They also seem able to run training centres to recruit bombers without check."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!