Jaffna to lose 3 parliamentary seats
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s Tamil-dominated
Jaffna district will have its parliamentary seats slashed from
nine to six as the Election Commission said the region had
witnessed number of voters dropping to half the previous
figure of 700,000.
The officials said the fall in number of
parliamentarians was due to the country`s complicated
proportional representation system of elections.
Vowing to oppose the move, the pro-LTTE Tamil National
Alliance (TNA) which recently swept the local election in the
province, alleged that the fall in voters had been due to
people being forced to leave their homes due to a three-decade
long ethnic violence.
"People are still returning from India after the end
of the war. The diaspora still feel unsafe to return to Jaffna
but when they decide to return you will find that they will
not be able to exercise their franchise," Suresh
Premachandran, the senior TNA MP said.
Elections commissioner`s department officials said
that the Jaffna district will have just six MPs representing
the voters as opposed to the current number of nine MPs.
The decision has been made in view of the decreased
number of voters in Jaffna. The current voter figure dropped
to just over 300,000 from the previous 700,000.
During the height of the military conflict in the
north and east when the LTTE waged a war to create a separate
homeland for the Sri Lanka Tamils, a large number of Jaffna
residents fled the area, either migrated mostly to West or
located themselves elsewhere in the country, mostly in the
capital Colombo. The three seats slashed in Sri Lanka`s Jaffna district
would be added one each to the southern districts of
Ratnapura, Matara and Kurunegala districts in the south of the
country, officials said.
The number of registered voters in these districts had
increased, officials added.
The national parliament has 225 seats, which will not
change. It will remain at 196 members elected and 29 members
appointed based on the national proportional representation of
the cumulative votes polled by each political party.
In the first post-LTTE provincial elections in the
north that came in more than 25 years, the pro-LTTE TNA
emerged as a major force, bagging two-thirds of the council
seats, even as President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s coalition swept
polls in other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'