Jalaluddin Haqqani`s son killed in US drone attack
Islamabad: In a body blow to the Afghan Taliban, a son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, a senior commander of the outfit, was killed in a US drone strike in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region in northwest Pakistan.
Muhammad Haqqani was killed along with three close associates in yesterday`s drone attack at Dande Darpa Khel village, a few kilometres north of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The intended target of the strike was Sirajuddin Haqqani, another son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, but it is believed he was not hurt.
The Haqqani network is believed to use bases in Pakistan`s northwest tribal regions to plot and lauch attacks on the US and other international forces in Afghanistan.
The Long War Journal, a website that tracks the war against terror, said Muhammad Haqqani was not a top-level commander of the Pakistan-based Haqqani network that frequently targets US-led forces in Afghanistan.
However, it said that if Muhammad Haqqani was killed, it "may be an indication that US intelligence on the Haqqani network is improving".
The Haqqani network is considered the second most dangerous Afghan Taliban faction after Mullah Omar`s Quetta Shura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?