Jalaluddin Haqqani`s son killed in US drone attack
Islamabad: In a body blow to the Afghan Taliban, a son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, a senior commander of the outfit, was killed in a US drone strike in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region in northwest Pakistan.
Muhammad Haqqani was killed along with three close associates in yesterday`s drone attack at Dande Darpa Khel village, a few kilometres north of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The intended target of the strike was Sirajuddin Haqqani, another son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, but it is believed he was not hurt.
The Haqqani network is believed to use bases in Pakistan`s northwest tribal regions to plot and lauch attacks on the US and other international forces in Afghanistan.
The Long War Journal, a website that tracks the war against terror, said Muhammad Haqqani was not a top-level commander of the Pakistan-based Haqqani network that frequently targets US-led forces in Afghanistan.
However, it said that if Muhammad Haqqani was killed, it "may be an indication that US intelligence on the Haqqani network is improving".
The Haqqani network is considered the second most dangerous Afghan Taliban faction after Mullah Omar`s Quetta Shura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?