Jamaat chief slammed over remarks on slain Taliban chief
Karachi: Jamaat-e-Islami chief Munawar Hasan`s description of slain Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud as a "martyr" on Monday drew sharp criticism from political parties like the MQM and PPP.
Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain was the first to condemn Hasan`s statement and he was followed by Pakistan People`s Party leader Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.
Mehsud was killed with other militants when a US drone targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan region on Friday.
In a statement, Hussain said "every child in Pakistan" knows that 7,000 security personnel and over 40,000 citizens, including clerics and religious scholars, have been killed by the Taliban.
He asked the `ulema` and scholars whether the "murderer of thousands of innocent citizens" can be called a martyr. "I believe that calling the Taliban leader`s death martyrdom is against the teachings of Islam and Prophet Mohammed, he said.
Earlier, PPP leader Bilawal Bhutto Zardari criticised Hasan and the Jamaat-e-Islami in a message posted on Twitter
"(Jamaat-e-Islami) proving once again they were always anti-PK & still (are) anti-PK by declaring (Mehsud) shaheed. Some1 shld do 2 `em wht Bangladesh did w/ their JI," he tweeted.
The Jamaat-e-Islami chief said yesterday that Mehsud was a martyr and asked the Taliban to carry on talks with the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says