Jamaat-e-Islami rejects Pak Taliban`s call to act as guarantor
Islamabad: The Jamaat-e-Islami has rejected the Pakistani Taliban`s call to act as a guarantor for any talks between the banned militant group and the government, with a top leader questioning the administration`s stance on such issues.
"We are in favour of talks because issues cannot be resolved without negotiations, but the Jamaat-e-Islami cannot become a guarantor because we have nothing to do with the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and they did not contact us to seek our opinion," Jamaat deputy secretary general Farid Ahmed Piracha said.
"How can we become a guarantor (for the talks) when the government is not ready to implement even the resolutions of parliament," Piracha told the Dawn newspaper.
In a video message released yesterday, Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan said his group would hold talks with the government if PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, Jamaat-e-Islami chief Munawar Hasan and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam head Maulana Fazlur Rehman acted as guarantors.
Ihsan also demanded that the government should release several top Taliban leaders ahead of any talks.
In a related development, the PML-N and Jamiat Ulema-e- Islam said it would be inappropriate for them to comment on the Taliban’s demands.
Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam leader Maulana Mohammad Khan Sherani said though the party’s leadership is yet to discuss the Taliban’s demands, he was of the opinion that all such issues should be resolved by jirgas or tribal councils.
"Jirga elders know how to resolve such issues and how to implement decisions. Both the government and the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan should give a guarantee to a grand jirga to implement its decisions in their true spirit and then they should take part in the jirga," he said.
PML-N spokesman Ahsan Iqbal said it was not appropriate to comment on the basis of the Taliban video which lacked authenticity.
The PML-N wanted the government to fully implement resolutions on the war on terrorism passed by joint sessions of parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon