`Jinnah took oath of allegiance to King George`
Islamabad: Pakistan`s founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah, also called "Quaid-e-Azam", had a British passport and took an oath of allegiance to British King George VI after assuming charge as the first governor-general of independent Pakistan, a politician has said.
Defending public criticism for holding dual nationality, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said former prime minister Nawaz Sharif lived with his family in Saudi Arabia on a "diplomatic passport" for a long time, Geo News reported.
In a telephonic address from London, Hussain said Jinnah also had a British passport.
The MQM chief read out the oath taken by Jinnah after assuming charge as the governor-general of Pakistan in 1947.
He said Jinnah took an oath of allegiance to British King George VI.
Hussain read out a provision of the Indian Independence Act, 1947, that stated that the office of governor-general in each of the two new countries - Pakistan and India - was a representative of the British Crown.
Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, however, said the MQM chief had distorted history.
"The oath taken by the Quaid-e-Azam was determined by the fact that the independence of Pakistan in 1947 was not complete," the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf chief told the Dawn.
"Both India and Pakistan had attained quasi independence and became dominions of the British empire. It was for this reason that the Quaid became governor-general and not the president," Imran said.
"The governor-general was nominally a representative of the British monarch and this fact was reflected in the oath taken by both the Pakistani governor-general and Indian Governor General Mountbatten," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'