John Kerry to visit Pakistan on July 31
Islamabad: US Secretary of State John Kerry, who had earlier postponed his visit to Pakistan, will arrive here on July 31 on his first trip to hold meetings with the country`s top political and military leadership.
Kerry had accepted an invitation to visit Pakistan, extended to him by Sartaj Aziz, advisor on national security and foreign affairs to the Pakistani prime minister, on the sidelines of the 20th Ministerial Meeting of the ASEAN Regional Forum July 2.
The US Secretary of State was previously expected to arrive in Pakistan on July 29.
However, the trip was later postponed after US officials said that he would visit Pakistan in "a few days time". A Pakistani official earlier said Kerry`s visit was rescheduled at the request of the US after his original travel plan was leaked to the media.
The US authorities believed that the revelation of possible dates of Kerry`s visit might compromise his security and they postponed the trip, diplomatic sources said.
Sources said Secretary Kerry is expected to arrive in Pakistan on July 31 as the condition of his wife, who has suffered a stroke earlier this month, was improving.
According to the new itinerary, Kerry would hold meetings with the Pakistan President, Prime Minister, and the Advisor for national security and foreign affairs on August 1.
Kerry would also hold meetings with the top-level leadership of Pakistan`s military and is also expected to participate in the Pak-US strategic dialogue, Dawn News reported.
Key issues including drone attacks in Pakistan are expected to be discussed during the US official`s visit. Kerry will be the first high-level US official to tour Pakistan since new government took office after historic May 11 elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video