Jones not visiting Pak for Memogate probe: Munter
Islamabad: US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter has said that former US national security adviser General (retd) James Jones has no intention to visit Pakistan to record his statements in the ongoing Memogate probe.
Munter was speaking at the inauguration of a four-day international conference on ‘Archaeology and Cultural heritage in Pakistan and adjacent regions’ organised by the American Institute of Pakistan Studies in collaboration with the US embassy and the Ministry of National Heritage and Integration.
Munter also admitted that the past year had been bad for the Pakistan-US ties but expressed hope that 2012 would bring about significant improvement in their relations.
“I hope it will be very positive in 2012 and time will tell how it works,” The Express Tribune quoted Munter, as saying.
He said the US would respect the decision of the Pakistan Parliament regarding the review of ties with the latter, as a response to the November 26 air strike, which had killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
“My understanding is that they [Parliament] are coming to the end of this assessment and it will begin a period where American and Pakistani leaders will be in touch with each other,” he said.
He added that the Pakistan would decide on re-opening the NATO supply route as a part of a review of its ties with the US.
“We can leave it to the Pakistani authorities who are reviewing the parliamentary assessment,” Munter said.
Munter also denied that the US is holding peace talks with the Taliban in Qatar, and stressed that both Pakistan and the US are committed “to a peaceful, successful, prosperous Afghanistan”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- A Flying Jatt tweet review: First day first show
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan