Journalist attacked in Pakistan, driver killed
Lahore: Two unidentified gunmen opened fire on senior Pakistani analyst and writer Raza Rumi, a highly vocal critic of the Taliban and religious extremists groups, leaving his driver dead and guard injured here.
Lahore police spokesman Niyab Haider told PTI that two motorcyclists intercepted Rumi`s car at Raja Market, Garden Town, and opened fire on it yesterday.
Rumi remained unhurt while his driver Mustafa and guard Anwar suffered bullet injuries.
They were rushed to hospital where Mustafa was pronounced dead while the condition of Anwar is stated to be critical.
Rumi is a highly vocal critic of the Taliban and one of the few in the media community here who came out openly against the banned group.
He also frequently spoke against the sectarian groups and religious fundamentalists in the country.
Rumi recently joined the Express TV channel and was anchoring a talk show.
This is the fourth incident when the Express media group came under attack by militants.
In the previous attacks Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed the responsibility, saying the group especially its English publication - Express Tribune - is criticising the banned outfit.
Lahore police chief Shafiq Ahmed has termed the incident "target killing".
He said two teams had been constituted to investigate the matter.
The journalist organisations of the country condemned the incident.
Rumi had recently launched a book `Delhi By Heart - The impressions of a Pakistani traveller`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!