Journalist`s killing upsets Pakistani daily
Islamabad: Empty words need the flesh of arrests, prosecutions and convictions on them if they are to mean anything, said a Pakistani daily following a journalist being shot dead earlier this week.
An editorial in the News International said that yet another journalist has been murdered - this time in Miranshah, North Waziristan. Malik Mumtaz Khan, who was gunned down on February 27, was the 13th journalist to be killed in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) since 2002.
"He was much respected for his journalistic integrity... (he was) brutally gunned down. His family says they were unaware of any threats against him and so far no group has claimed responsibility for the killing," said the daily.
It pointed out that the "ritual hand-wringing by the usual suspects" was quickly in evidence.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Engineer Shaukatullah condemned the killing and claimed "without a shred of evidence to back it up - that `solid steps were being taken for the protection and security of journalists`," the paper said.
PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif expressed his condolences as did the Minister for Information Qaman Zaman Kaira. The Army and even the TTP have condemned the murder.
"It is of note that there has not been a single arrest or prosecution of anybody for the murder of a journalist anywhere in Pakistan - ever. So who killed Malik Mumtaz Khan?"
"As ever there is no answer, no more than there has been an answer to the killings of other journalists in Pakistan. A wall of silence surrounds every death. Yet somebody does know. The killers of course, but also those who decided to target a specific journalist for whatever reason - but one must assume that the primary reason is to still a pen that writes uncomfortable truths," it said.
"Expressions of grief by politicians far removed from ground realities are not enough. Empty words need the flesh of arrests, prosecutions and convictions on them if they are to mean anything. As ever, expect no early result," the daily added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM