Journalists outraged at reporters killing in Pak
Karachi: Journalists held demonstrations and marches across Pakistan on Tuesday to protest the killing of a colleague in Balochistan, and demanded security and protection for the community.
Abdul Haq Baloch, 37, a television journalist was shot dead on Saturday in the Baloch town of Khuzdar while he was driving home from work.
Protests were held across several cities to condemn the killing today.
The national body for journalists of Pakistan called for more countrywide protests after cases were registered against 26 journalists protesting Baloch`s death in Quetta.
"They have registered police cases against us today instead of finding the killers of Abdul Haq," Ovais Tohid the news head of ARY television channel said.
The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists condemned the registration of cases against protesting journalists and said the protests would continue tomorrow.
An official of PFUJ said the government needed to provide protection and security to working journalists in Balochistan and the Khyber Pakhtukhwa provinces where working conditions were difficult.
"Journalists receive death threats on daily basis," another official said.
Nadeem Gorgnari, president of the Khuzdar press club confirmed that Abdul Haq had also been getting death threats since last week.
Police said masked men opened fire on his car around 100 yards from the local press club.
"He died as a result of his bullet wounds and we are investigating the case," Haq Nawaz a senior police official said.
Nawaz said police have registered a case against "unidentified gunmen".
Pakistan has been ranked as the deadliest country for journalists by international media watchdogs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark