Judge appointed in Pak to probe Sarabjit`s murder
Lahore: A serving judge has been named by a Pakistani court to probe the murder of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who died earlier this month after being assaulted within the Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial appointed Justice Syed Mazhar Ali Akbar Naqvi to investigate the matter and submit a report to the court.
However, no deadline has been given to Naqvi to complete the probe.
Earlier, caretaker Punjab Chief Minister Najam Sethi had written a letter to the Chief Justice, asking him to appoint a judge to conduct the probe.
Five to six prisoners had brutally assaulted Sarabjit in a well-coordinated attack on April 26.
After being comatose for nearly a week, Singh died at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore on May 2.
Police registered a murder case against two death row prisoners Amer Aftab and Mudassar for allegedly assaulting Sarabjit.
Both men told police that they wanted to kill Sarabjit as he was involved in killing innocent Pakistanis in bomb blasts.
A day after Sarabjit`s death, Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay was assaulted at a jail in Jammu and later died in a hospital in Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers
- PM Modi-led govt completes two years; Facebook tracks his journey on social media
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two +2 Class 12th Exams Results 2016 is likely to be declared today on May 27 - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Modi govt will be known for fulfilling promises: LK Advani