Judge appointed in Pak to probe Sarabjit`s murder
Lahore: A serving judge has been named by a Pakistani court to probe the murder of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who died earlier this month after being assaulted within the Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial appointed Justice Syed Mazhar Ali Akbar Naqvi to investigate the matter and submit a report to the court.
However, no deadline has been given to Naqvi to complete the probe.
Earlier, caretaker Punjab Chief Minister Najam Sethi had written a letter to the Chief Justice, asking him to appoint a judge to conduct the probe.
Five to six prisoners had brutally assaulted Sarabjit in a well-coordinated attack on April 26.
After being comatose for nearly a week, Singh died at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore on May 2.
Police registered a murder case against two death row prisoners Amer Aftab and Mudassar for allegedly assaulting Sarabjit.
Both men told police that they wanted to kill Sarabjit as he was involved in killing innocent Pakistanis in bomb blasts.
A day after Sarabjit`s death, Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay was assaulted at a jail in Jammu and later died in a hospital in Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video