Judicial commission to probe Salman Taseer’s assassination
Lahore: The government has decided to form a judicial commission to investigate the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, a TV channel has reported.
According to Law Ministry sources, the judicial commission’s summary has been sent to Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani, the Daily Times reported.
Islamabad High Court Chief Justice Iqbal Hameed-ur-Rehman’s name has been proposed as the head of the commission, and Justice Riaz Ahmed Khan would be its second member.
Earlier, Federal Law Minister Babar Awan had announced to form the commission, the channel reported.
On Tuesday, Taseer was assassinated by one of his own elite security force protectors, who opened fire on him when he was moving towards his car in Kohsar Market, Islamabad.
Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the bodyguard, has been arrested after the incident.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik confirmed the arrest, saying that Qadri had confessed to assassinating Taseer because of his support for the release of Asia Bibi.
Asia Bibi, a Christian woman, has been sentenced to death by a lower court for violating Pakistan’s laws against blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!