Judicial commission to probe Salman Taseer’s assassination
Lahore: The government has decided to form a judicial commission to investigate the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, a TV channel has reported.
According to Law Ministry sources, the judicial commission’s summary has been sent to Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani, the Daily Times reported.
Islamabad High Court Chief Justice Iqbal Hameed-ur-Rehman’s name has been proposed as the head of the commission, and Justice Riaz Ahmed Khan would be its second member.
Earlier, Federal Law Minister Babar Awan had announced to form the commission, the channel reported.
On Tuesday, Taseer was assassinated by one of his own elite security force protectors, who opened fire on him when he was moving towards his car in Kohsar Market, Islamabad.
Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the bodyguard, has been arrested after the incident.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik confirmed the arrest, saying that Qadri had confessed to assassinating Taseer because of his support for the release of Asia Bibi.
Asia Bibi, a Christian woman, has been sentenced to death by a lower court for violating Pakistan’s laws against blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad