Judicial commission to probe Salman Taseer’s assassination
Lahore: The government has decided to form a judicial commission to investigate the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, a TV channel has reported.
According to Law Ministry sources, the judicial commission’s summary has been sent to Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani, the Daily Times reported.
Islamabad High Court Chief Justice Iqbal Hameed-ur-Rehman’s name has been proposed as the head of the commission, and Justice Riaz Ahmed Khan would be its second member.
Earlier, Federal Law Minister Babar Awan had announced to form the commission, the channel reported.
On Tuesday, Taseer was assassinated by one of his own elite security force protectors, who opened fire on him when he was moving towards his car in Kohsar Market, Islamabad.
Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the bodyguard, has been arrested after the incident.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik confirmed the arrest, saying that Qadri had confessed to assassinating Taseer because of his support for the release of Asia Bibi.
Asia Bibi, a Christian woman, has been sentenced to death by a lower court for violating Pakistan’s laws against blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India