Kabul police arrest 6 suspected suicide bombers
Kabul: Afghan police on Monday arrested six men and seized suicide vests, assault rifles and more than 50 hand grenades during a raid on a residential building in central Kabul, senior officials said.
Kabul Police Chief Gen Mohammad Ayub Salangi said an investigation was under way to determine the identities of the men he described as "terrorists" and what they were planning to attack.
The raid comes as British Prime Minister David Cameron meets in London with the presidents of Afghanistan and Pakistan to discuss prospects for peace talks with the Taliban.
Cameron initiated the meetings with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari last year to boost cooperation among the countries and promote regional stability.
The talks, today and tomorrow, are expected to focus on preventing a Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan when British, American and other NATO troops withdraw from the country by the end of next year.
Downing Street said the trilateral meeting will include Afghan and Pakistani army and intelligence chiefs for the first time.
Deputy Kabul Police Chief Daud Amin said police discovered the explosive vests and at least 55 hand grenades among other weapons in the house.
Recently, teams of Taliban suicide bombers carried out two spectacular attacks in central Kabul.
On January 21, five Taliban suicide bombers attacked the traffic police headquarters, killing three policemen and wounding at least 30 people. All five attackers were killed in a nine-hour gun battle.
That attack came less than a week after six Taliban suicide bombers attacked the gates of the Afghan intelligence service, killing one guard and wounding dozens.
In other violence, an Afghan government official said a roadside bomb killed a family of five, including two young children, last night in southern Afghanistan.
The administrator for Miyanishin district in Helmand province, Shah Mahmood Shafa, said the family was driving through the district when their car hit the bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack