Kamra airbase attack: PAF official succumbs to injuries
Islamabad: A Pakistan Air Force official wounded during a Taliban attack on the Kamra airbase succumbed to his injuries on Friday, taking to two the number of security personnel killed in the incident, which also left nine terrorists dead.
PAF official Muhammad Iqbal died at a military hospital at the Kamra complex in Punjab province, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
Iqbal was injured when a group of heavily armed terrorists stormed the airbase yesterday.
A soldier named Asif Ramzan was killed in the intense gun battle with the attackers yesterday.
The terrorists, wearing military uniforms and suicide vests, sneaked into the airbase at 2 am, triggering a gun battle that lasted about three hours.
Eight terrorists were killed within the airbase while another blew himself up outside the perimeter, a PAF spokesman said.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was carried out to avenge the killing of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud and al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
Air Commodore Muhammad Azam, the commander of Kamra airbase, was injured while leading the operation against the attacker.
He has been discharged from hospital, the PAF spokesman said.
A Saab-2000 surveillance aircraft was damaged when the terrorists fired a rocket propelled grenade at a hangar during the attack, officials said today.
PAF chief, Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt, has formed a five-member committee headed by Air Marshal Syed Athar Hussain Bukhari to probe the terror attack on the airbase.
The other members of the committee are experts in various fields, the PAF spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured