Kamra airbase attack: Pak sounds red alert at its airports
Lahore: Pakistan`s Civil Aviation Authority has sounded a red alert at all airports across the country following the terrorist attack on Kamra airbase, a senior official said on Friday.
"Due to the present uncertain situation in the country, all airports have been put on red alert," said Hamid Gardezi, Principal Director of Airport Services.
He directed all airport managers to beef up security and ensure full coordination with security agencies and the local administration.
"The managers of airports used by both civilian flights and military aircraft should coordinate with concerned authorities for enhancing security arrangements," he said.
Gardezi further directed authorities to step up surveillance and vigil at the entry and exit points of airports, terminal buildings, car parks, navigational aids, and areas around the runways.
He asked all airport managers, airport security organisations and fire and rescue services to exercise extra caution.
A group of heavily-armed terrorists stormed the Kamra airbase in Punjab province early yesterday.
Nine militants and two security personnel were killed in a three-hour standoff at the airbase.
A Saab-2000 surveillance aircraft was damaged by the attackers.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was carried out to avenge the killing of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud and al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi