Kamra airbase attack: Pak sounds red alert at its airports
Lahore: Pakistan`s Civil Aviation Authority has sounded a red alert at all airports across the country following the terrorist attack on Kamra airbase, a senior official said on Friday.
"Due to the present uncertain situation in the country, all airports have been put on red alert," said Hamid Gardezi, Principal Director of Airport Services.
He directed all airport managers to beef up security and ensure full coordination with security agencies and the local administration.
"The managers of airports used by both civilian flights and military aircraft should coordinate with concerned authorities for enhancing security arrangements," he said.
Gardezi further directed authorities to step up surveillance and vigil at the entry and exit points of airports, terminal buildings, car parks, navigational aids, and areas around the runways.
He asked all airport managers, airport security organisations and fire and rescue services to exercise extra caution.
A group of heavily-armed terrorists stormed the Kamra airbase in Punjab province early yesterday.
Nine militants and two security personnel were killed in a three-hour standoff at the airbase.
A Saab-2000 surveillance aircraft was damaged by the attackers.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was carried out to avenge the killing of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud and al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday