Karach: The death toll in the current wave of Karachi killings has risen to 102 as the bloodbath continued for the fifth consecutive day in Pakistan’s port city.
At least 13 people were killed in incidents of firing overnight, the Dawn reports.
Earlier on Friday, the Sindh Government authorised the Rangers to exercise the powers of police officers to ‘sue necessary force to prevent terrorist acts’ as steps promised and taken hitherto failed to stop killings in Karachi.
A Sindh Rangers spokesman said that personnel of the paramilitary force had helped evacuate hundreds of people trapped in strife-torn areas.
“We are moving the families to safe places and the exercise continues. Rangers troops helped mainly people in Qasba Colony and adjoining areas,” he said.
Citing intelligence sources, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik claimed that the Taliban were at least partially responsible for the Karachi violence.
“The [Taliban] had evacuated some places during the security forces’ operation against them, but police and law enforcement agencies are pursuing them,” The Express Tribune quoted Malik, as saying.
He stated that there was a network of the Taliban that was active in the northern part of Karachi and involved in acts of militancy across the country’s largest city.