Karachi hit again by violence: 13 dead in 24 hours
Karachi: A fresh bout of target killings hit Pakistan`s biggest city again, leaving 13 people including four brothers, dead over the last 24 hours.
The four brothers who were said to be workers of a religious party, Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat were gunned down in their car at a roundabout in the New Karachi area.
Police said the brothers were sitting in the car late last night when assailants on two motorcycles opened fire on them killing them instantly, while injuring one passerby.
"The four brothers were running a coaching centre in Gulshan-e-Iqbal and had no criminal records," a police official said.
He rebutted reports that the four belonged to the extremist Sipah-e-Sahaba organisation.
Besides the four brothers, three other people were also killed yesterday and the spate of killing continued today as target killers gunned down six more people.
In the city`s Surjani Town area, two people associated with a political party, were killed when unknown assailants opened fire on them.
Similar firing incidents in New Karachi and Mominabad areas killed two others and injured one.
Tension gripped some parts of the city where the killings took place.
Karachi has been hit hard by such killings with over 1100 people killed this year in the city.
The menace of target killings which are either ethnic, religious or sectarian in nature has resurfaced after a brief lull.
Official figures state that since January this year when 55 people were gunned down, the number of people killed is around 1100 and 600 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray