Karachi violence: 13 more killed in ethnic clashes
Islamabad: Thirteen people died in overnight clashes between rival ethnic groups in Pakistan`s largest city Karachi, taking the death toll in four days of violence to more than 50, rescue workers said Tuesday.
The violence erupted Saturday ahead of a by-election for a provincial seat in Sindh, of which Karachi is the capital, between the groups representing the majority Urdu-speaking population and minority Pashtu-speaking people.
Most of the killing Monday and Tuesday took place when armed men kidnapped members of the opposing factions and dumped their bodies after executing them. One policeman in plain clothes was hit by a stray bullet.
"Seven people died Monday and since this morning we have moved six bodies to the hospitals," said Qamar Parvez, a spokesman of the private Edhi rescue service. "Most of the bodies had bullet wounds."
Parvez said over 50 people have died in the recent wave of targeted killing. Dozens more are injured.
Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), the party that represents the Urdu-speaking group, has blamed most of the political violence on supporters of the Awami National Party (ANP), a charge the Pashtu party denies.
Both groupings have a long history of violence. In August, 100 people died in clashes that started after gunmen shot dead Raza Haider, an MQM provincial lawmaker. The MQM accused the ANP of being responsible for the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks