Karzai bans Afghan forces from seeking airstrikes
President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday officially banned Afghan security forces from requesting international airstrikes during operations in residential areas.
Kabul: President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday officially banned Afghan security forces from requesting international airstrikes during operations in residential areas.
The presidential order came two days after Karzai said he would issue the decree amid anger over a NATO airstrike requested by the national intelligence service that local officials said killed at least 10 civilians and four insurgents.
Critics have expressed concerns that the ban will hobble Afghan troops who rely heavily on air support to gain the upper hand in the fight against insurgents on the ground.
But the top US commander in Afghanistan, Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, said he believes the American-led NATO coalition can operate effectively under the terms of the ban.
The death of civilians during military operations, particularly in airstrikes, has been among a major source of acrimony between Karzai`s government and foreign forces.
The presidential order was directed at the Defense Ministry, the Interior Ministry and the National Directorate of Security.
"During your operations, don`t call for air support from international forces during operations on residential areas," the decree said. It did not provide more details.
Dunford said Karzai`s decision was in line with a tactical directive issued last year by Dunford`s predecessor, Marine Gen. John Allen, which was aimed at mitigating civilian casualties.
He said coalition forces believe they can conduct "effective operations within the president`s guidance."
The US-led military coalition said last June that it would limit airstrikes to a self-defence weapon of last resort for troops and would avoid hitting structures that could house civilians. That followed a bombardment that killed 18 civilians celebrating a wedding in eastern Logar province, which drew an apology from the American commander.
Tensions rose again earlier this month when the civilians were killed in the northeastern Kunar province.
The coalition, however, can still carry out airstrikes on its own accord.
"I believe the support we will provide to the Afghans is exactly consistent with the coalition`s tactical directive," Dunford said.
Karzai`s decision, however, could hamper the Afghan force`s ability to fight the insurgency as it robs them of one of their most potent weapons. It also runs counter to Afghan requests for NATO to supply their security forces with aircraft capable of carrying out airstrikes. The Afghan military has repeatedly implored the United States for jet fighters, such as F-16`s, and heavy weapons, including tanks and artillery.