Karzai, Clinton want to emulate the success of Afghan cricket
Washington: Impressed by the Afghan
cricket team`s T-20 World Cup debut, President Hamid Karzai
and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Tuesday sought to seek
lesson from the players who achieved the feat despite living
in a turbulent country.
The leaders appreciated the phenomenal success of the
team, which against all odds entered the T-20 World Cup.
"If we are searching for a model of how to meet
tough international challenges with skill, dedication and
teamwork, we need only look to the Afghan national cricket
team" Clinton said in her opening remarks of the
US-Afghanistan Bilateral Dialogue that kicked off at the Foggy
Bottom headquarters of the State Department.
Karzai, is leading a high-level delegation from his
country at the invitation of the US President, Barack Obama,
to hold intensive talks on issues between the two countries.
Karzai, who arrived here Monday, would meet Obama on
"For those of you who don`t follow cricket, which is
most of the Americans, suffice it to say that Afghanistan did
not even have a cricket team a decade ago.
And last month, the team made it to the World
Twenty20 championships featuring the best teams in the world,"
Clinton said praising the success of the Afghan cricket team.
Notably, the Afghan Cricket team handsomely defeated
the United States to qualify for the T-20 World Championship.
"Well, today, we have our own top teams from the
Afghan and US governments," Clinton said referring to the 20
members from each delegations besides the two leaders.
Karzai was quick to respond in his own T-20 style as
he acknowledged that success of the Afghan cricket team would
not have been achieved but for the contribution of the United
States and the international community.
Games like cricket were banned during the previous
"Madame Secretary, the United States has been with
Afghanistan for the past eight years, through a very important
part of our history where we began to reconstruct our country,
and where the United States and our other allies helped us in
all walks of life," Karzai said.
"The consequence of that for us, the Afghan people,
has been one of tremendous achievements of our team in cricket
being one," Karzai boasted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'