Karzai complains of delay in US prison handover
Kabul: The Afghanistan president has warned that any further delay turning over a key US-run detention facility to full Afghan control would harm relations.
Hamid Karzai`s statement comes after him and US commander General Joseph Dunford met today but failed to resolve the impasse that derailed a scheduled handover last Saturday.
NATO released a statement after the meeting saying both parties pledged to continue constructive dialogue to resolve the remaining issues.
The facility has an Afghan administrator but is still US-run. The Americans also have the power to veto the release of detainees they feel present a continuing threat, a right they want to keep.
Karzai pledges that even after Afghans take over, they will keep anyone who is a security threat in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui