Karzai complains of delay in US prison handover
Kabul: The Afghanistan president has warned that any further delay turning over a key US-run detention facility to full Afghan control would harm relations.
Hamid Karzai`s statement comes after him and US commander General Joseph Dunford met today but failed to resolve the impasse that derailed a scheduled handover last Saturday.
NATO released a statement after the meeting saying both parties pledged to continue constructive dialogue to resolve the remaining issues.
The facility has an Afghan administrator but is still US-run. The Americans also have the power to veto the release of detainees they feel present a continuing threat, a right they want to keep.
Karzai pledges that even after Afghans take over, they will keep anyone who is a security threat in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon